Thursday 24 April 2014

Lupita Nyong'o

They are not many times where I cry because of things like speeches or interviews but lupita speech at the essence black woman show really brought me to tears because I myself have been one of those skin lightening cream almost users well let's just say that when I was about 11 I religiously googled which ones was best to use to get that Beyoncé skin that is why that speech was important to me. Firstly she highlighted the importance of representation of dark skinned ladies in the media. Then went on to talk about how she had grown up being continuously bullied and ridiculed for her skin tone, Alek wek was her example of somebody who made her feel beautiful. Personally I think she talked about a very important issue that the black community and black women have to deal with the constant need to be whiter to be lighter to have straighter hair and it is very important that people like lupita come out in the open and talk about these issues. I watched that speech and I had tears in my eyes because of what you was saying was so true yet so beautiful in terms of how she found exceptance. And it's a long way to go because I still go on Twitter and see teenage boys talking about how they want light skin girls or how being darkskin makes you savage but speeches like lupita's give me hope that we are working towards fixing colorism and self-hatred in our communities so I commend Iupita for going out there and speaking about something that is so close the hearts of so many black woman.
Link to speech: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPCkfARH2eE

No comments:

Post a Comment